Saturday, June 1, 2013

Beards and Babies

Back during my college days I lead a men’s group. Among the many things I commended to the four young men in my charge was that growing a beard and having babies were manly activities that were worthy of pursuit. Sadly they were freshmen so their beards were patchy and none of them had wives with which to procreate. In the years that have passed since our group disbanded only one has gotten married and had children while all four have had facial hair of some sort or another. This clearly illustrates a salient point: it is easier to grow a beard than get a baby.

Having had children of my own, I know that baby-getting is tough business. If done the biological way it involves nine months of constant discomfort that concludes in a day of extreme discomfort with months of sleepless nights for an encore. And that’s just for the father, mom has an even harder time. So while biological baby-making may be a hoot, biological baby-getting is no laughing matter.

But of course, there are other ways to get babies. No, not kidnapping, that’s illegal. Shame on you. Adoption. I’m talking about adoption. I thought that would be obvious. Even though adoption forgoes some of the less savory aspects of biological baby-getting it is nevertheless a daunting process, not least of all financially. It takes a serious chunk of change to make an adoption happen. This is where beards come in.

What? You don’t follow me? How is this not perfectly obvious? Let me break it down. I will grow my beard out for six months. You will either commit to give $10 a month to sponsor said beard (or give a one time donation). The money collected will go to help fund the adoption process of DJ and Courtney Hofmann as they try to bring home a little baby from South Korea.

Interested? Seriously, how could you not be? To buy into this awesome beard and baby bonanza go to http://www.abeardforababy.blogspot.com/ and sign up to either sponsor my beard, or if you are a bearded human maybe consider growing out your facial follicles and finding sponsors of your own. If you don’t want to donate online let me know and I can collect your donation (I swear by my beard all funds will make it to the Hofmanns).

Not convinced? What are you, some kind of robot?! Click on the link and check it out. Read their story, look at the beards. How could you not be inspired by this?

No comments:

Post a Comment